This was Valentine's Day. We don't really 'celebrate' V-day, but we did something little this year. Here's the basic story:
Elise went to grocery store with me on Feb 13. They had a special vendor there with a crock pot of chocolate fondue who was dipping strawberries and making little gift boxes. Elise was enamored. Chocolate AND Strawberries!? Nothing could be more heavenly in her eyes...ok, unless it was a princess with a crown and a wand dipping the strawberries in chocolate!
I decided that we would do that as a family on Sunday...not the princess part, just the fondue.
In my head (that's always where the problem starts!), I pictured the four of us sitting around the table happily dipping our fruit in chocolate, sharing stories about how/why we LOVE (the only tribute to V-day) each other... I think I'm a few years ahead of myself... but Adam went along with my vision for the afternoon.
During naptime on Sunday, we made the fondue (whole other part is that I didn't buy any milk chocolate, just dark and semi-sweet...but I don't like those. I only like Milk Chocolate. So, Adam kept adding powdered sugar and more cream to 'lighten it up' some...) surprisingly, we ended up with like a QUART of fondue that was really only going to be eaten by Adam and Elise. We got the girls up, had the table set nicely, told them our idea, and sat down for a nice time of yummy food and sharing sentiments of love and appreciation.
4:10 pm:Sit down and explain 'guidelines' for eating and sharing. Adam and I have a small glass of wine on the table, ready to enjoy...
4:11 pm: girls DIG IN to some chocolate
4:13 pm: We've already gotten up 3x to get more napkins, a fork, and water for the girls
4:15 pm: only Mommy and Daddy are sharing stories. Nobody else is listening. I'm not even sure Adam was listening to me!
4:16 pm: Sharing time over. I still doesn't like the chocolate, so I'm just eating fruit. Ainsley starts whining b/c she's "too messy, Mommy"
4:18 pm: Ainsley full-out crying b/c her hands and face are covered in chocolate. She only wants to eat pretzels
4:19 pm: Adam gets up to refill his wine already. I haven't had a sip of anything yet...
4:25 pm: Elise still hasn't said a word and is basically INHALING the chocolate. I have to grab a headband for her to keep her hair out of the mess...
4:26 pm: Ainsley has thrown her bowl on the table and CRYING "ALL DONE, MOMMY..."
4:28 pm: We pry the chocolate out of Elise's hands, use two washcloths to clean off the kids, let them down to run and play
Seriously, it was all over in less than 20 minutes. I was planning on it taking all afternoon, leisurely talking, slowly enjoying the time as a family (minus baby who was sleeping, of course!)... augh...when will I learn?
It was probably 1 1/2 hours of work, a DOZEN or more dirty dishes, crock pot, two saucepans, etc...oh the joy. And we could've given them an open bag of the chocolate morsels and they would've been every bit as happy.
At least we got some good pictures! Maybe this will work a little better when they're older.
Elise Before
Elise After...
Ainsley Before...
Ainsley During... hard to get a good picture through all the tears.
2 comments:
awesome story. maybe you should bring back the Papa Murphy's heart pizza? Easier at least on the cleanup:)
Love the story! It will make a great why we love each other when the kiddos are older. You had to make the fondue because adding strawberries to chocolate made it a healthy afternoon snack. It doesn't matter if they told stories-the time together lets them know how much yall love each other. Great memories for later in life.
Love, Allyson
Post a Comment