Tuesday, December 16, 2008

No Way!

We just had an Earthquake!!! No way. doesn't happen often in this part of the country...that's for sure. I was awake making coffee, girls and Adam were still in bed and it was a huge BOOM. It only lasted about 5 seconds, but it felt more like an explosion nearby, the whole house shook, and it was very loud. I thought it was more of a sonic boom right over us or something...all the neighbors met out in the street and nobody had any idea what it was. crazy.
I think it's really funny that we lived in Japan for 2 years and only felt 3 TINY Earthquakes while living in the "Ring of Fire" (the most Earthquake-prone zone on the planet). But now we move to the SE USA and just sat through a bigger EQ than we ever had in Japan. It was a little fun, actually. But I'm a nerd like that. You can see on our "Favorite Websites" on the right a link to the US Geological Survey...click on that and you can see a cool graphic of all recent EQ's in the world. I check the site fairly regularly just for fun. Again, I know I'm a dork.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wow!! That does sound cool!!!! Only because it was minor and no one got hurt of course..... good ole' tectonic plates....fascinating buggers!!!!