Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Update...

Well, we're still fighting wolves (who've also created fear at afternoon 'rest time' too, now!), but things are better than they were this weekend. After four nights of total misery (90% of it being shouldered by Adam- he's the greatest!), we've figured out a few minor solutions.
-Reasoning isn't working. I guess she's just too young to understand most of it (although we thought the opposable thumbs argument was a real winner!).
-She has 2 magic 'no wolf' wands in her bed with her now. Before nap/bed, we walk around the room waving the wand, checking under beds, in drawers, closet, etc... and 'wave away' any wolves.
(she looks in places like INSIDE her shoes...if a wolf was really that small, is it worth being scared of?! I decided not to tell her that wolves are WAY bigger than that...probably wouldn't have helped in the long run).
-A lot of people have suggested some 'wolf spray' (water in a squirt bottle) that we'd let her spray around the corners of room, window, doorway, etc...but I feel like that goes against the fact that we've said wolves don't live anywhere near here and can't even get into our house...but since she doesn't seem to follow our logic anyway, maybe it wouldn't hurt at all. not sure...
-Our best bet has been to let her fall asleep with her door open. No extra lights on, nobody in there cuddling with her (I just feel like that could lead to more dependency on us 'helping her to fall asleep' in the long run. We're SO NOT "family bed" people...), just letting her hear us a little bit and not feeling too confined seems to help. I'm sure we'll have to fight another battle of closing her door at some point, but for now this is helping. =) As soon as she falls asleep, we close the door and she slept fine the last two nights after that...

So, we'll see. Thanks for all the help, prayer, and suggestions! Once again, I LOVE the wisdom of other moms and am so thankful for this crazy internet thing that lets us 'network' in ways that are really helpful to me!!

Next blog...ELISE IS FOUR YEARS OLD NOW! =)

1 comment:

Bethanyivy said...

I'm so happy to hear it is getting a bit better. That is just heartbreaking : ( Are there any good wolf stories or books out there, so she could see some sweet wolves that aren't at all scary? The only one's I can think of right now are the wolf family who raised Mogley in Jungle Book, but then you have a scary Tiger and snake too. I'll keep thinking.
Love,
Beth