Thursday, April 3, 2008

Flowergirl...kind of...


Early October 2007 or so, Jen and Paul asked us if elise could be a flowergirl in their wedding along with their niece on Jen's side, Alexis (who's almost 6). I had visions of my barely 2 year old (at time of wedding) being a perfect little addition to the ceremony. She would walk down the aisle with a little bouquet, wearing a gorgeous dress, hair back in cute little bows and ribbons, holding hands with Alexis...all done to 'introduce' the Bride down the aisle...everyone would look lovingly at elise, she would be sweet, cute, and perfectly obedient as she stood at the alter to participate in the Union a new Husband and Wife. Adam tried to convince me that it probably wouldn't look like that, but I still had my visions of perfection...
Skip ahead to March 28, 2008. My adorable, outgoing 2 year-old had an idea of her own. During the rehearsal on Friday night, elise wouldn't even look at Paul or Jen. In order to make her comfortable with the church, I let her walk around the alter/stage area, practice going up the three steps to get there, etc...and we discussed how if she "walked with Alexis to see Uncle Paul and Jen", she'd get a lollipop. Sounded good to me- I was prepping her for the day ahead, going over it many times, etc...
Wedding day arrives. Saturday, March 29...elise looked great and was having a good day. Her hair wasn't cooperating that day and was a little scraggly. We had four lollipops staged around the room for her to go towards if needed...
The Processional begins, I (erica) head down the aisle with the bridesmaids, Alexis and Elise are holding hands well and holding flowers and Adam sends them down the aisle toward us. SHE MADE IT ALL THE WAY DOWN THE AISLE!!! SUCCESS! "Uncle Kelly" has lollipop #1 and she grabs that immediately. She then runs up on the alter and sits down next to the pastor. that's fine. Then she starts to lift up her dress and play with her tights...The bride's music comes on and everyone (thankfully) looks to the back of the church for Jen and her dad. I scoot over and grab elise to sit next to me. I give her lollipop #2. She drops her flowers. She stands next to me for 10 seconds. Then gets fidgety and starts talking loudly. I pick her up to calm her down, but she gets mad at me. I set her down on the step up to the alter behind me. She climbs up there and starts trying to run away from me to play....heading straight for the LIT Unity candle. I let her go for a second, then have to lunge at her to avoid setting the church on fire and ruining the 'unity' of the event. I grab her and try to hold her again, that doesn't work. She gets down and starts whining loudly and I hand her off to Adam and my cousin's wife, where Lollipop#3 and #4 are waiting for her. ALL of this happens BEFORE the Congregation even sits down! Jen's dad is saying, "Her mother and I give her away" as little bridesmaid #2 is handed off...phew! Exhausting. Alexis was great and stood perfectly still the entire ceremony next to the Maid of Honor. Elise sat with my cousin's wife and played with her new Dora sticker book while double-fisting lollipops the rest of the time... pictures afterwards were also a mess for elise, but the photographer putting a DORA sticker on his forehead was helpful! =) Overall, we call it a success b/c she made it down the aisle with Alexis and flowers, but it was a crazy attempt, too. We're Thankful that Paul and Jen had a great attitude and LOW EXPECTATIONS for the whole thing...it was fun and definitely memorable. =)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was HILARIOUS. I loved the strategically placed lollipops. For Will's change of command, I had a leather purse the size of a grocery bag full of gummis, juice boxes, etc. Congratulations to you two and the bride and groom.
Mags

Case and Los said...

This is the best story EVER! p.s. you look hot, how did you lose the baby weight so quickly?!
And, how did you turn the photos right side up?
Do tell, do tell!

Case and Los said...

and no offense to Paul and Jen, but I have never understood why people make little kids stand the whole ceremony, it's hard enough for adults!

Anonymous said...

All I remember is elise made it down the aisle!! Then I heard "mimi" and she was whisked away!! Your description was great!! mom