So, in order to keep up with my "Tagged List" (see item # 7) posting from a couple weeks ago, Adam and I decided to plant a garden in the backyard. I can't keep flowers alive, big bushes and trees are too expensive (also related to Tagged List #2 ), so we figured we'd kill two birds with one stone... 1.grow something that looks nice and takes up space in the yard AND 2. get to eat it (hence, save $$) in the long run! So, we dug up all the overgrown, nasty flowerbeds that the previous owners left us and planted Grape bushes, Cantelopes, Watermelon, Strawberries, Sweet Peppers, Hot Peppers, a lemon tree, and spice boxes with onion, chives, and (my personal favorite!) cilantro. So, just 10 days into our endeavor, we already have one strawberry!!! (see picture above- it's still white/green, but definitely a strawberry!) So cool. There are clear little buds on the pepper plants and grape bush, too. (Personally, I thought grapes grew on vines, but this is a bush- I should probably do some research to see what it really is...). We've already used the cilantro which makes me so happy b/c I LOVE the smell and flavor, and the hot pepper plant came with a few peppers ready to be picked, so we've had those on turkey sandwiches all week. It's kind of cheating, but, whatever... it still came from our backyard. So, there you go. Working toward 'granola-ish' living, and saving money. you gotta love it.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Straberries, Peppers, Grapes, OH MY!
So, in order to keep up with my "Tagged List" (see item # 7) posting from a couple weeks ago, Adam and I decided to plant a garden in the backyard. I can't keep flowers alive, big bushes and trees are too expensive (also related to Tagged List #2 ), so we figured we'd kill two birds with one stone... 1.grow something that looks nice and takes up space in the yard AND 2. get to eat it (hence, save $$) in the long run! So, we dug up all the overgrown, nasty flowerbeds that the previous owners left us and planted Grape bushes, Cantelopes, Watermelon, Strawberries, Sweet Peppers, Hot Peppers, a lemon tree, and spice boxes with onion, chives, and (my personal favorite!) cilantro. So, just 10 days into our endeavor, we already have one strawberry!!! (see picture above- it's still white/green, but definitely a strawberry!) So cool. There are clear little buds on the pepper plants and grape bush, too. (Personally, I thought grapes grew on vines, but this is a bush- I should probably do some research to see what it really is...). We've already used the cilantro which makes me so happy b/c I LOVE the smell and flavor, and the hot pepper plant came with a few peppers ready to be picked, so we've had those on turkey sandwiches all week. It's kind of cheating, but, whatever... it still came from our backyard. So, there you go. Working toward 'granola-ish' living, and saving money. you gotta love it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So exciting! I'm looking forward to planting tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, basil, cilantro and parsley [once I have a place to plant them:)] By the way, Ainsley is totally adorable. I see a lot of Elise in her...expecially her eyes.
-Allie
Yeah, grapes definitely grow on vines... I don't know what you got? I can't wait to plant veggies too, but it freaking snowed last night! Such a fluke, but you have to wait until there will be no freeze to put stuff in the ground...
Can't wait to see your pics later in the summer:)
p.s. pumpkins take up tons of space if you want more space gobbled up- we planted them in the back yard last year, awesome.
Post a Comment