
There are a lot of things that America does well (ie-Panera Bread, Target, Fresh Market Grocery stores), but one thing that Japanese have cornered the market on is HEATED TOILET SEATS! The traditional Japanese toilets (for MEN and WOMEN) are basically recessed urinals in the floor. You stand over it and squat/hover to relieve yourself (pic on left). You also provide your own toilet paper to wipe and paper towel/handkerchief to dry your hands after washing up. Although a little tricky to get the hang of, they're fine once you're used to it- especially if you have good balance and strong quads.On the other hand, the "Western-style" Japanese toilets are HEAVENLY... they're in many of the malls, big train stations, and hotels. There is a control panel on the side (right picture) that allows you to play music or the sound of running water (in case you get Stage Fright to pee in public), a bidet to rinse with, and a few other buttons that I never figured out! But the greatest part BY FAR is the fact that most of these "Western style" toilets are heated. Since Japanese homes are NOT typically well-insulated, they get the important part right...the seats are warm and toasty to sit on and it really makes the whole experience nice. (side note- Japanese are INCREDIBLY clean and sanitary...I would NEVER SIT ON A PUBLIC TOILET in the USA, but it's ok over there, REALLY!). So, there you go...a lesson on Japanese toilets that you never knew you were interested in! I add all of this because in the last year of being pregnant and getting up to pee multiple times overnight and now getting up a couple times to feed Ainsley, I sit of the FREEZING toilet seat all the time. There are so many times that I've hollered out to adam (who's trying to peacefully sleep), "AUGH, I MISS THE HEATED TOILET SEATS!!!" So, there you go.
4 comments:
Paul still talks about the bidet at the Grand Hyatt in Tokyo. :-)
so why doesn't someone talk to "American Standard", orMoen-and get nit right over here? Maybe they need a 'model'??
Teg
I remember stories of Amis buying those Japanese bad boys and bringing them home after their tour. But, no need! check out Toto's USA website, where they now have Japanese style "washlets" available for consumer purchase:
http://www.totousa.com/productpage.asp?PID=134
it ain't cheap, but I'm sure Adam will more than willingly spring for it just to be able to sleep through the night without your anguished cries about a cold arse.
And speaking of great Japanese toilets--the seats in the new (well, new to me in 2004) high-rise Roppongi mall were amazing, and a far cry from the foul hole in the floor one was apt to find while hiking Fuji
--Matt
This is SOOOO funny, maybe this can be a series you do, lessons on Japan:)
Post a Comment