Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pumpkin Weekend


WE LOVE THE FALL! Growing up in Ohio (Erica) and several years in Maine (Adam), we look forward all year to the perfect "shorts+long sleeve shirt+optional fleece vest" weather. There's no better weather than that in our book! Currently living in the south, we know there won't be many days/weeks like this, so we'll enjoy them as they come! This last week was unseasonably cool here (highs in mid-60's) and we loved it. To honor the Fall weather, Adam bought two pumpkins Saturday to start his next homebrew, "JAG-O-Lantern Ale", made with fresh cooked pumpkin. It was a gorgeous day to sit outside during the girls' naps and work on the brew. With the leftover pumpkin, we pureed some of the gourd for Ainsley to eat, I separated and cleaned the seeds (Elise and I are cooking them today!), AND we used 1/2 cup of the puree to make PUMPKIN SPICE LATTEs this morning. I mean, seriously? "We're so pumpkined" this weekend...I love it.
The beer smelled really good as it cooked. It won't be ready for about a month (hopefully it time to take some to Steve/Mary's wedding in mid-October!). Ainsley loved her pureed pumpkin, although if you've paid attention to pictures of her lately, she loves all food. The pumpkin lattes were good-but we know next time to STRAIN THE STEAMED MILK before we drink it! Each mug had about 2 Tbsp of pumpkin mush in the bottom...it doesn't feel quite right to be chewing a latte. The 2nd 1/2 was better.... We're excited to bake the seeds in a little while to round out "Pumpkin Weekend". Coming soon, pumpkin bread and Patty's Pumpkin Curry Soup! Those are both tried and tested recipes, so we'll continue to enjoy the Fall. Now if only the Gators won yesterday, it would've really been a great weekend.

2 comments:

hawleykj said...

How about Pumpkin Pie? We made it last week for friends for dinner and enjoyed it so much, we bought another pumpkin at the farmer's market this morning.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/REAL-Homemade-Pumpkin-Pie/Detail.aspx

*Note: Based on the reviews of the recipe, we only used 1 c. of evaporated milk instead of 3 and added 3/4 c. brown sugar. It turned out great!

Case and Los said...

We're growing 30 pumpkins:) They're so cute, I'm bringing some to CA/TX.

Where is the Curry Pumpkin soup recipe? We love all things pumpkin, and have been getting Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbizzle. When we get to TX, we'll make pumpkin bread and scones, etc.

I'm loving fall weather here, knowing it's short-lived (as in Tuesday, when we leave). So I've been wearing down vests:)